Tuesday, May 19, 2009

hummingbird fascination




I am completely and totally fascinated by these extraordinary little creatures. We are the lucky ones who get them as they are only found in the Western Hemisphere and mostly in North America although they do winter in Central America.

I have a feeder on my deck and on any given day can look out to find a hummingbird about half of the time. I think it helps that I am not alone in the love of the little birds in my neighborhood. Which brings me to my story.

My neighbor, hi Teresa, found a hummingbird on her screened in porch the other day. It apparently had gotten trapped in there and couldn't find its way out. She was sad about the little bird who had lost its life, but planned on burying it. She gently laid the little bird in a planter on her porch where she saw it all day long. She said it was so beautiful as it looked like it was sleeping. As her son carried it in a towel to the little hole they had dug, he stumbled and the little bird fell. When they bent to pick it up, it was just gone. Vanished! They looked for an hour and still never found the little hummingbird. Interesting. Where did it go? Had it really not died? She then told me how some people feel that the hummingbird is the eternal bird. So it got me thinking about hummingbirds and I started reading up on them. I have learned some interesting things. The greatest of these is the following Public Service Announcement:

NO RED DYE- Most modern feeders have brightly colored bases and therefore do NOT need food with dye in it. Years ago when feeders were made out of jars and tubing people added the dye to attract the birds attention. It worked, but it is just an additive and we are not really sure what it does to the little birds so let's just leave it out. K? I am guilty of buying pre-made hummingbird food, but feel foolish that I have been doing so, because it is a simple recipe...4 parts water to 1 part sugar. NO DYE!

I hope that I haven't bored you with my fascination, but really if you don't have a feeder, you should try it. They are such cool little birds. You should also read about them. I wish I would have sooner.

1 comments:

saywinn said...

I love hummingbirds too...you make me want to go get some feeders!! THey are so pretty...and I'm jealous of how they can move their little "arms" so fast and not get tired. Hopefully bootcamp will make me more like a hummingbird! If I was a hummingbird...I'd be a drummer in a band!