Monday, April 13, 2009

Passion = Lemons

Awww such simple beauty

Nellie and Joe's My FAVORITE lemon juice if not from the real thing

And the favorite lemon bar itself...

I love lemons. It is probably no wonder that my favorite color is yellow. A few years ago, while pregnant with Coryn, I found heaven. We were at a family church retreat and I had just gotten through the worst of my morning sickness. For the first three months I could not eat anything sweet. The thought made me nauseous. We were asked, at this retreat, to bring a snack to share with everyone. I have no clue what I brought, but I can easily tell you what Mary Ann Adkins brought. She brought lemon bars. Not just any lemon bars, but the most heavenly lemon bars to ever grace my taste buds. It was the very first thing that I could eat that contained sugar while pregnant with Miss C. So I visited the snack table a few times that first night. I noticed others were doing the same thing and that the lemon bars were disappearing quickly. SOOOO I did what any self respecting, lemon loving woman would do....I stole the entire pan of them back to my room where I gorged myself on them. Share them, no way. I also asked for the recipe. I am no dummy. I have never made them for anyone who hasn't asked for the recipe. In fact I had someone tell me once that the Betty Crocker Lemon bars were awesome and I had to laugh, because they obviously haven't had a REAL lemon bar. I am going to share with you that recipe. Mind you, this is NO Weight Watcher Recipe. I am sure one bar is like 15 points or something.

Lemon Bars
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
2 C flour
2 Sticks of butter
4 Eggs
2 Cups Sugar
1/3 Cup lemon juice (Nellie and Joes)
1/4 Cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
and some more powdered sugar for the topping.

Sift powdered sugar and flour together. Cut in 2 sticks of butter. Press into lightly greased pan(9x13). Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Beat eggs, sugar and lemon juice together very well. Stir in flour and baking powder. Pour over baked crust and bake another 25 minutes.

Sift powdered sugar over it and cut into tiny bars.

Enjoy and if you make them, please tell me how you like them :)

2 comments:

cupcakefail said...

yummy! will try as soon as I get home! That brand is the key lime juice I used for pie! (the uh, salt lick pie, but the key lime was delish!)

Heather said...

It IS the best brand.