Thursday, April 9, 2009

Have you thanked a teacher lately



I used to teach. That was my career. I have a great appreciation for teachers and especially teachers I know that go that extra step above and beyond what they are expected to do and also paid so handsomely for. Sorry I couldn't resist the last part as we all know teachers don't make near enough.

We moved into the district we are currently enrolled in last spring. We were all a little anxious about the girls starting a new school. I figured Ella would have a difficult time as she is slower to warm up to new things. I couldn't have been more wrong. She has shone this year. She has just blossomed. We couldn't be happier about it. Tara had a rougher go, which quite frankly was a little bit surprising to us, as she is our social bug. Luckily she was blessed with an amazing, inspiring, loving, compassionate, awesome, intelligent...I could go on...teacher. We could not have asked for someone as great as Miss Parker. Everything she does is awesome. So it was no surprise when I got this email from her this week about Take your Child to Work Day:

Dear Parents,

Thursday April 23rd is take your child to work day. A note is going home about this today. I wanted to let you know my background on this day. I think it is a wonderful chance for kids to learn about careers and see what their parents do. That being said I wanted to let you know that if you child does not have a place to go please send them to work with ME. As a child of two teachers I was never allowed to go with my parents (although the older I got I tried to go with my dad since he was a boys pe teacher J) So I try to make this a super special day for the kids that come to school. I bring donuts and juice and we have a faculty meeting in the morning, then we make teacher name badges just like mine. The whole day is full of science experiments, math games, and other fun.

So every kid that day should have a wonderful career experience. I hope that your child is able to go with you, but if not please know it will be a day they remember!!

Thanks Julie Parker


Really! That is awesome. She is awesome. We are SO lucky to have her and I am sad that the year is almost over.

I responded to her email with a quick thank you. Please do the same to a teacher you love. It really does mean the world to us.

3 comments:

Kelly Lira said...

That's so cool. What a great lady!

I loved Take Your Kid To Work Day. I used to go with my sister when she worked at the big orange. It was super fun.

Denise Grover Swank said...

What an awesome teacher! Maybe I should have Jenna stay home with me and write a blog post! LOL

BKNRC said...

That is great. I wonder if my kids can go to school with her... Haha!