Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bullies Suck!

I got a call from the school counselor yesterday. Tara had been in her office in tears. Apparently some mean 2nd grade girls were picking on my girl on the bus. Tara was beside herself. Wow this stuff starts early. Why do little girls have to be so mean? I talked for a bit with the counselor. She was going to pull the girls into her office later in the day and talk to them about their choices and such. It's so hard to hear that your child is getting picked on. I just want to rescue them. I don't want the world to hurt them. We talked a lot with her last night and she seemed better this morning when she left. I hope that the problem is taken care of. I am anxious however for her to come home tonight and get an update.

In 7th grade, I was bullied by a girl. She would physically block me from getting to class on time so that I ended up getting tardies and 8th hours. She threatened me repeatedly. I lived in fear of even walking outside each day to my bus because she would appear and yank my hair or fling my bag on the ground. This problem brought back all of those fears and anxiety I felt when dealing with that girl. She and I ended up talking it out when we were in high school. She actually apologized. And now I look back at what a small part of my life that was and how I should have maybe stood up for myself a bit more and also how that time in my life has actually made me more sympathetic to people that are weaker than I am.

I am not ready for my kids to have to learn these lessons, but apparently life has other plans. However I would like to go give the little heathens a piece of my mind. I think I'll let the counselor handle it though and we'll just keep giving her lots of love and encouragement at home.

How could you be mean to this girl?

3 comments:

cupcakefail said...

OH NO! Poor Tara!! I always reminf my kids that when they're getting picked on, it's usually by kids who are jealous of them. Bullies do suck!

Anonymous said...

Denny told me to tell you that all of his coworkers call him Queera. I guess he works with some really mature guys, huh? Oh and growing up the kids called him Chunk.
I want to beat those dumb 2nd graders up!

BKNRC said...

Did she do ok today? What a bunch of stupid girls to be mean to sweet Tara. Do I need to make a phone call for ya?