Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Honduras

In 1994 I had the priviledge of traveling with my father to La Buena Fe Honduras. I was months away from getting married and was so focused on that aspect of my life that I wasn't really aware that a life changing event was about to happen to me and it didn't involve my wedding. We traveled with a team of wonderful medical staff to a clinic that had its own inspiring story, having been started by the Blumenschein family in the late 50's. John Blumenschein was a popular obstetrician from our area and he and his wife and five children gave up their home here and set out for Honduras to create the clinic. Their mission was to "aid people without hope and resources". There is a wonderful book called Home in Honduras, written by Dr. Blumenschein himself.

The point of this post is that this has been a special place for our family for as long as I can remember. I have connected with some of the most unlikely people because of this oasis in the middle of the Central American jungle. It is a simple place with simple people, who appreciate the help and say thankyou with big smiles. My entire family has traveled there at one time or another. I can't wait to take my children there someday. This past weekend, my father traveled there to help with another clinic in the city of San Pedro Sula. UMKC dental students were traveling there to provide care. My father was going to be helping out in the surgery department. He had looked forward to this trip for some time. We received an email on Saturday from him about the military coup that took place over the weekend. The president, Manuel Zelaya, was forcefully removed from power after trying to unlawfully change the constitution. My dad told my mom that they were told to stay at the hotel as the Nicaraguan army was waiting at the border to come in to fight. Migs were flying over the city on patrol. So their mission to do good had to be cut short. They are all coming home today. Maybe they could have finished their time there safely, but it isn't worth finding out. I am sad for my dad as I know he was really looking forward to his time there. I am also sad for the dental students as they didn't get to connect with the Honduran people like I did. I hope they get to go back someday and discover the Honduras that I came to know.

I ask that you keep the team in your prayers today as they travel home. That they have a safe and uneventful trip. Here are a few pictures from my time there in 1994.

4 comments:

cupcakefail said...

Love your pants!

Heather said...

They are scrubs dork! And as you can see by the people surrounding me, they weren't caring too much about what I was wearing!

saywinn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
saywinn said...

What an awesome story Heather. I learned soemthing new about you! (And not just that you took advantage of the slack dresscode on your trip!)


tactize - turning an insult into a compliment. ("My goodness Betty! That vibrant moo-moo you are wearing just SCREAMS vintage!") That was a tactized statement!